Toy Hauln Hooligans  

Go Back   Toy Hauln Hooligans > Hooligan's Categories > Quite Possibly R rated > TECH

Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
56Nomad
Hooligeezer King
Hooligan

56Nomad is on the road to Hooliganism
Default Allison Tranny Big Problem Question

Hello Hooligans,

After having a great Memorial Day weekend near Cold Springs Station Nevada I headed down to glass Creek, where I'm currently camped. Unfortunately on one of the steep grades I felt the truck start to shutter and realized that my transmission was having issues.

In Hawthorne Nevada I stopped and found that I was dripping transmission fluid But on Sunday they were no services open so I just figured I would limp into glass creek and fortunately I made it.

Here is my dilemma. I need someone to work on my Allison transmission and there are no adequate repair services in Mammoth. It appears my best options are going north to Gardnerville Nevada Which is about 100 miles north of here or going down to Bishop which is about 50 miles from here.

Both State Farm and Good Sam tow coverage will only pick up the tab to Mammoth Lakes, so I'm considering trying to drive the truck to Gardnerville where I think I'll get the best service for the Allison.

Now for the gearhead Questions:

The transmission still has plenty of fluid and the entire time that I drove it showed that the transmission temperature was normal. No codes were thrown however the "Service engine soon" idiot light came on. The biggest issue is that when it changes gears the tranny lurches and causes the truck to shutter. I can reduce this by keeping it in third gear and minimizing the amount of times the tranny shifts.

Do you think that driving it further will cause irreparable or more significant damage to the tranny..... It's that or about $300 bucks out of pocket for towing expenses? What would Macgyver do?

The good news is that I am going fishing now!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
thmTerry
Hooligan King
Hooligan's Partner
Hooligan

thmTerry is just really nice

personally I would risk $30 and change the screw on trans filter plus put some lucas transmission fix in it.

Thomas Jefferson

"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."

MLK
thmTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
jws
Team Pink
Hooligan

jws guards the Holy Grailjws guards the Holy Grailjws guards the Holy Grail

Call Rob and get signed up with AAA 200 mile tow and wait a week and have it towed......
Old 06-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Speedy
AAA Hooli Rep
Hooligan

Speedy is an unknown around here

I haven't had a chance to read this...but.... Feel free to call me tomorrow after 8:30am 714-734-4476.... Thanks for the heads up Jeff
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
ssduane
nothing important to say
Hooligan

ssduane has quite a few friendsssduane has quite a few friends

I agree with Terry, change the filter, sounds like maybe a low pressure issue. Have you ever changed the internal filter?
ssduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
lq9hd
I'm American as Egg Foo Young
Hooligan

lq9hd would be a good choice to suckup tolq9hd would be a good choice to suckup tolq9hd would be a good choice to suckup tolq9hd would be a good choice to suckup to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws View Post
Call Rob and get signed up with AAA 200 mile tow and wait a week and have it towed......
That works... AAA premier <$200. Better check with Rob about the SoCal/ NorCal membership. You can use my SoCal address if you want Howie.
lq9hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #7
high desert
Capitalist pig
Hooligan

high desert has quite a few friendshigh desert has quite a few friends

Sorry about the bad luck Howie. There is a transmission shop in Bishop (although I don't know how good it is) and it is downhill from where you are. A Gardnerville trip is going to work that tranny.
Maybe try posting over on DP.

If you need anything, give me a call and I'll bring it down to you.

BTW: Triple A holes left me stranded for 4 1/2 hours with the ass end of my toyhauler sticking 3 feet in the travel lane on the two lane S curve heading in to Austin last week.
Fk'rs
Luckily, some friendly locals pulled my trailer out of the road before someone was killed.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
jws
Team Pink
Hooligan

jws guards the Holy Grailjws guards the Holy Grailjws guards the Holy Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by high desert View Post

BTW: Triple A holes left me stranded for 4 1/2 hours with the ass end of my toyhauler sticking 3 feet in the travel lane on the two lane S curve heading in to Austin last week.
Fk'rs
Luckily, some friendly locals pulled my trailer out of the road before someone was killed.
Damn Wes maybe its time to invest in a Ford
Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
sin cal hd
Its all the previous poster's fault.
Hooligan

sin cal hd has quite a few friendssin cal hd has quite a few friends

Ah shit jeff you too? With the furd nonsense.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
JJ
Hooligan

JJ has quite a few friendsJJ has quite a few friends

I'm with Terry, change the spin on and drive it around a little to see how it acts. If it seems better go for it. Good luck
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote