Toy Hauln Hooligans  

Go Back   Toy Hauln Hooligans > Hooligan's Categories > Soap Box > Save our lands!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
QH
Hooligan King
Hooligan's Partner
Hooligan

QH guards the Holy GrailQH guards the Holy GrailQH guards the Holy Grail
Default Fu%$#ng Coc&^s%$#rs

Press release from my club....

The Public Pays Extortionary Fees To Use Public Land

The El Dorado National Forest is requiring the Polka Dots Motorcycle Club, a 55 year old volunteer organization, to pay approximately $50,000 in advance for an environmental analysis for an off-road event special use permit. This special use permit is required by the Forest Service to host a recreational family motorcycle enduro and an off road motorcycle event in the forest. These fees are primarily to cover the cost of an environmental assessment and secondarily for additional Forest Service monitoring for each event.
These events have been held in our National Forests for over 40 years, using existing, in place, long used and approved Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) trails and forest roads. The Forest Service has been approving the use of these OHV motorcycle trails and forest roads for motorcycle events for decades without any reason to conduct an environmental review. Until recently, the Forest Service has always permitted these events on a yearly basis under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Categorical Exclusion. Under this exclusion the Forest Service only charged nominal administration fees. Until more recently the Forest Service had never required volunteer based organized clubs to pay cost recovery fees. The obvious question is what has recently changed? Nothing, except under presser from antiaccess groups the Forest Service has created a policy to create a barrier (financial barrier) to entry for OHV recreation. In 2008 the El Dorado National Forest completed and environmental analysis of all roads and trails for the entire El Dorado National Forest. Considering the Forest Service has completed an environmental analysis for all roads and trails on the El Dorado National Forest, there is no logic in requiring the completion of an additional environmental analysis for individual or group users. The Forest Service appears to implementing this new policy erect a barrier to entry for OHV recreationist. These fees are essentially creating a barrier to entry and locking out the public from its own property. These volunteer organized clubs do not make much more than the cost of putting these events on. These cost recovery fees are being put in place to create a barrier to entry for anyone or any group wishing to recreate in the national forest.
QH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
56Nomad
Hooligeezer King
Hooligan

56Nomad is on the road to Hooliganism

This is why I left there last month and moved to Mammoth. The grey haired dyke witch ranger told me all the rules changed - could no longer ride out of Airport campground. The trail system is chopped up like they've done
in Stanislaus

Corrected spelling.......

Last edited by 56Nomad; 07-14-2010 at 09:33 PM.
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
QH
Hooligan King
Hooligan's Partner
Hooligan

We've been maintaining the 90 miles trails we run our enduro's on for 30+ years and they are as good or better than when we started as far as erosion goes. One section they stopped us from using for environmental concerns they clear cut and bulldozed a couple years ago... Bastards
Old 07-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
thmTerry
Hooligan King
Hooligan's Partner
Hooligan

thmTerry is just really nice

o my God if they cant get us one way. They try another...total Bullshit.

Hopefully Polka Dots have some Lawyers in their membership that have some time to volunteer to fight this. Good luck Bob.

Thomas Jefferson

"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."

MLK
thmTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
QH
Hooligan King
Hooligan's Partner
Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmTerry View Post
o my God if they cant get us one way. They try another...total Bullshit.

Hopefully Polka Dots have some Lawyers in their membership that have some time to volunteer to fight this. Good luck Bob.

We voted to pay the fee

Forest Service is up in arms about this press release though Fuck em
Old 07-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
Dodgerblu
Hooligan King
Hooligan

Dodgerblu is just really nice

I know up here in the Shasta Trinity, the USFS, under the guise of OHV management, is screwing up public acces to our public lands even for folks who just want to hunt, fish, hike, cut fire wood, or just take their kids out for a picnic in the woods.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
2BH
Carefully disguised as a responsible adult
Hooligan

2BH is just really nice

$50k! That's a helluva bake sale!

the forrest service!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
QH
Hooligan King
Hooligan's Partner
Hooligan

Shockingly enough the story made it to the front page of the Sac Bee Regional Section

Fuck Karen Schambach
Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Coribdx
I bounce really well..
HooliGIRL+Hooligan

Coribdx is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BH View Post
$50k! That's a helluva bake sale!

the forrest service!
That is what I was thinking.... A fee like that would put our club right out of business.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
QH
Hooligan King
Hooligan's Partner
Hooligan

Don't think it has to be paid all up front, but I haven't been to a meeting since it was voted upon so not entirely sure. We get probably 1500 total entries yearly to our Enduro's and Gran Prix so we're doing ok financially I think, but 50k 1 time payment would kill us too I'm sure, which is exactly what Schambach wants