Toy Hauln Hooligans  

Go Back   Toy Hauln Hooligans > Hooligan's Categories > Soap Box > Save our lands!

Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Nayther
I gotta get a fuck'n life
Hooligan

Nayther is an unknown around here
Default For immediate action

As many of you know I am passionate about riding and racing motorcycles, especially in the desert. We are in a fight for one of the last open racing areas in the desert. Currently the USMC is trying to expand the 29 Palms Marine Base, they have many options but have chosen to go west and take nearly 2/3 of Johnson Valley. With J.V. gone we will have only one area in the entire desert to run large desert races. While we fully support our military and our young men defending our freedom we cannot sit still and allow this land to be taken away from us.

Please contact your state senator and ask them to support the Bartlett amendment. It is very easy to do, go to congress.org and follow the instructions, enter your zip code and then contact your federal officials, then copy/paste the following information and push send should take no more than 5 minutes.

If you have any questions please contact me, thank you in advance.

Support the Bartlett Amendment to Request a Report from the U.S. Marine Corps on the proposed expansion of the Marine Corps Ground Air Combat Center Twenty-Nine Palms to work with all stakeholders in the Johnson Valley Area

Bartlett Amendment 243 to HR 4310
Request for Marine Corps Land Acquisition Report
Currently, 189,000 acres of land under control of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), adjacent to the Marine Corps Ground Air Combat Center Twenty-Nine Palms, California, is designated by the 1980 California Desert Conservation Plan as an off-highway vehicle recreation area.
The Marine Corps wants to acquire 160,000 acres of this land, including the Johnson Valley area most heavily used for recreation. Currently, only 2% of the California Desert is open for motorized off-highway vehicle recreation use with half of the land in the Johnson Valley area.
The Recreational Community use of Johnson Valley brings in over $70 million per year to the local economy. The Recreational Community includes: Rock Hounds, Off-Highway Vehicles, Motorcycles, Bicycles, Campers, Hikers, Bird Watchers, Turtle Watchers, Model Airplane Groups and Commercial Movie Industry.
US Marine Corps has been working very closely with the Recreational Community and the Bureau of Land Management to find a compromise as acceptable to all parties.The Marines plan to use this land for Marine Air Ground Task Force live fire and maneuver training year round while reserving 40,000 acres for co-use by the recreational community 10 months out of the year.
The Marine Corps is in the process of completing an Environmental Impact Study on the proposed expansion of 29 Palms.
Stakeholders in this region are working towards resolution for the proposed expansion.
I am very supportive of Marine Corps training, but want to ensure all the stakeholders have the opportunity to review the Marine Corps Report and work towards a common solution to minimize the impact on Johnson Valley for all stakeholders:A description of the actual training requirements for the proposed range and where those training requirements are currently being met to support combat deployments.Identify the impact on the off-road vehicle recreational users of the land, the economic impact on the local economy, the recreational industry and other stakeholders
Identify any concerns with the Bureau of Land Management in their assessments of the impact on other users
Identify the impact on the State of California’s Desert Conservation plan regarding allocation of the Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Areas Potential to use the same land without transfer, but under specific permits for use by the BLM
Any potential on other BLM lands near the Marine Corps Ground Combat Center Twenty-nine Palms or other locations in the geographic regionThis amendment also provides a Secretary of Defense Waiver of the Report in the event of national security need.
Nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Nayther
Hooligan

Nayther is an unknown around here

Did anyone do this? I see 20 views but no responses.

If you did, thank you, it passed, the amendment is in the proposed House budget. Now lets hope it remains unmolested.

There will be more "call to arms" requests as we battle to keep this area. Stay tuned!
Nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
QH
Hooligan King
Hooligan's Partner
Hooligan

QH guards the Holy GrailQH guards the Holy GrailQH guards the Holy Grail

I responded to my reps, thanks for the heads up. Sorry I didn't respond to the thread.
QH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
tri-5-ron
Hooligan

tri-5-ron is an unknown around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by QH View Post
I responded to my reps, thanks for the heads up. Sorry I didn't respond to the thread.
X2, I did the same.
We will probably be going to JV for Memorial Day Weekend.
Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".

-Mark Twain
tri-5-ron is offline   Reply With Quote