Toy Hauln Hooligans  

Go Back   Toy Hauln Hooligans > Hooligan's Categories > Quite Possibly R rated > TECH

Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #41
Big Buford
Hooligan King
Hooligan

Big Buford shares all your toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssduane View Post
Ouch on the bill, but it is what it is. But hey, the good thing about having a paid for truck is that the repair cost aren't so bad if you don't have a monthly payment.

Any chance on doing the 6 speed conversion?

ANy idea of why it failed, is it a known year issue, how religous where you with flushes/maintenance? I'm pretty sure you aren't hard on the truck, and weren't over pulling as far as weight goes.
I guess thats a good enough reason to drop the pan every now and then. Would never know if there is crap in it unless ya drop it

Big minds talk about ideas..small minds talk about people.

Big Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #42
56Nomad
Hooligeezer King
Hooligan

56Nomad is on the road to Hooliganism

Quote:
Ouch on the bill, but it is what it is. But hey, the good thing about having a paid for truck is that the repair cost aren't so bad if you don't have a monthly payment.

Any chance on doing the 6 speed conversion?

ANy idea of why it failed, is it a known year issue, how religous where you with flushes/maintenance? I'm pretty sure you aren't hard on the truck, and weren't over pulling as far as weight goes.
The truck has about 130,000 miles on it and it is used exclusively for pulling the ToyHauler and the camper when I owned it. I've always been diligent about changing fluids and probably did Maintenance more than I needed to. The tranny failed as I was coming down a very steep grade in tow haul, four wheel low gear. The truck shuddered and lurched as well as the tranny making nasty noise. When I go up to the shop I'll certainly ask the question as to what failed. I have very little wear on my brakes as I've used the transmission to do my engine braking since I bought the truck (Jan 2002) so the Allison has been put through the paces.

Since I have the Edge/w Juice I don't think I would be able to go with a six speed conversion.

Now, back to the campfire
Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #43
56Nomad
Hooligeezer King
Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Glad things are working out, if you can call $5300 working out.

I can't help thinking about some of the crap that went on about how AAA sucked and how awesome Good Sam was gawds gift to RV'ers. Not trying to start shit but it seems AAA came through for you. Also if that guy had "RV Plus" coverage it would be no charge
Could we resurrect that old string ?
I think why I got screwed in this case is because I did not have the Good Sam premium tow coverage. I'm definitely going to have to do some more homework on this so this will never happen again.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #44
JJ
Hooligan

JJ has quite a few friendsJJ has quite a few friends

Murphy's law, If you get super good premium coverage you will never need it.
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #45
ssduane
nothing important to say
Hooligan

ssduane has quite a few friendsssduane has quite a few friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Nomad View Post
The tranny failed as I was coming down a very steep grade in tow haul, four wheel low gear. The truck shuddered and lurched as well as the tranny making nasty noise.
were you towing, on pavement or dirt? I can't think of a reason I have ever needed to be in tow-haul/4wd LOW.

Hell, I don't think I've ever been in low gear.

I'm sure you over maintenance your truck, but that is never a bad thing, just wondering as to why a failure.
ssduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 AM   #46
56Nomad
Hooligeezer King
Hooligan

Quote:
were you towing, on pavement or dirt? I can't think of a reason I have ever needed to be in tow-haul/4wd LOW.

Hell, I don't think I've ever been in low gear.

I'm sure you over maintenance your truck, but that is never a bad thing, just wondering as to why a failure.
From Berlin, Nevada I was coming out of the Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest headed towards Gabbs Nevada on Hwy 884. There was a very long steep grade and I find that the best way to control the truck without using the brakes is to put it in the lowest gear. It works for me… Except this time

When I finally drive up to Gardnerville and talk to the transmission shop I'll certainly find out what may have caused the failure as well as get his opinion on using the lowest gear to use as an engine brake.

Great dinner tonight....

Last edited by 56Nomad; 06-07-2013 at 05:06 AM.
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #47
campermama
I am the Charter Member 4AMGURL!
HooliGIRL+Hooligan

campermama guards the Holy Grailcampermama guards the Holy Grailcampermama guards the Holy Grail
Send a message via Yahoo to campermama

Save me some fish!!!

I know your truck is an automatic, but my motto is......

Brakes are cheaper then a (clutch) or tranny! Just sayin..... (I know sometimes you can't just stay on the brakes).

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie package,CTD,4x4,5speed,long bed
2016 Rockwood 2604ws
1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ, 4.0L, I6, 5 speed, lifted, 33's
2005 Mustang Convertible, 5 speed, 4.0 (Sally)
campermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #48
truggyboy
......................... ..
Hooligan

truggyboy has quite a few friendstruggyboy has quite a few friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by campermama View Post
Save me some fish!!!

Brakes are cheaper then a (clutch) or tranny! Just sayin..... (I know sometimes you can't just stay on the brakes).
yeah but when you loose your brakes coming down a hill because you were using them to much, then your fucked.
truggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #49
QH
Hooligan King
Hooligan's Partner
Hooligan

QH guards the Holy GrailQH guards the Holy GrailQH guards the Holy Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by truggyboy View Post
yeah but when you loose your brakes coming down a hill because you were using them to much, then your fucked.
Been there, done that on the Grapevine, scared the bejesus out of me. My rotors overheated and got wavy, just about ripped the steering wheel out of my hands. Exhaust brake is my favorite feature on my new truck and I highly recommend it as a mod if you don't already have one.

P.S. I think I overheated the rotors on a previous trip coming down Donner pass when my trailer plug worked itself loose and left me with only truck brakes. The Grapevine incident went from working perfect to violent shake almost instantly. Once the rotors overheated on Donner pass I think the brakes were fucked.
QH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #50
2BH
Carefully disguised as a responsible adult
Hooligan

2BH is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by campermama View Post
Save me some fish!!!

This from someone who towing heavy means about 3000-4000 pounds. Try stopping 15,000 pounds

Just sayin