Toy Hauln Hooligans  

Go Back   Toy Hauln Hooligans > Hooligan's Categories > Quite Possibly R rated > TECH > Rig Tech

Old 06-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
56Nomad
Hooligeezer King
Hooligan

56Nomad is on the road to Hooliganism
Default Battery Cable Question for 6 Volt system

The rig came with (2) new 12 volt deep cycle batteries located under the doorway steps. I've build a new battery compartment which will hold (2) more batteries however it is located 6' from the existing batteries.

I'll be getting rid of the 12 volt batteries and will install and marry (4) 6 volt deep cycle batteries. What do you think would be the best size welding cable to wire up for that 6' distance between the two separate battery compartments?

Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
2BH
Carefully disguised as a responsible adult
Hooligan

2BH is just really nice

Use the same gauge on all connections regardless of the distance. For 6foot I would use 2/0 or bigger. Have them made for your exact need.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
CHAIN_DOGG
Team "Think Pink "
Hooligan

CHAIN_DOGG has quite a few friendsCHAIN_DOGG has quite a few friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BH View Post
Use the same gauge on all connections regardless of the distance. For 6foot I would use 2/0 or bigger. Have them made for your exact need.
X2.......1/0 Would be fine also,
CHAIN_DOGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
2BH
Hooligan

2BH is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN_DOGG View Post
X2.......1/0 Would be fine also,
I use 1/0 but mine are all next to each other. Wes uses 2/0 to go from side to side to side to connect 6x 6v... BIG MONEY just in copper
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
CHAIN_DOGG
Team "Think Pink "
Hooligan

Quote:
BIG MONEY just in copper
I had 4 Coils in my back yard, Finest Locomotive cable on the market. I think Buford stole one.........Now i Only have 3.

And there is a difference in Locomotive cable..Different Types / Usage / ratings
Old 06-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #6
2BH
Hooligan

2BH is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN_DOGG View Post
I had 4 Coils in my back yard, Finest Locomotive cable on the market. I think Buford stole one.........Now i Only have 3.

And there is a difference in Locomotive cable..Different Types / Usage / ratings
You know Buford! You gotta lock that gate Brian! Better check your bitches... one might be knocked up... just sayin
Old 06-23-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
56Nomad
Hooligeezer King
Hooligan

56Nomad is on the road to Hooliganism

Scotty,

Did you use oxygen free copper OFC cable or is that just for audio stuff?

Just found the answer.........

What is OFC and should I buy it?

OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) wire is a type of wire that often gets sold by stereo shops as the best stuff to hook up speakers or a high power amp. I occasionally get asked about it. I’ve had folks ask if I can make battery cables out of it.

What’s different about it?

As the name suggests the copper used in the wire is “oxygen free”, almost. It’s not really “oxygen free”, it has less oxygen. When copper is smelted oxygen is added to help remove the other impurities. OFC adds another step by adding phosphorous to remove the oxygen. Standard wire is AT LEAST 99.90 pure copper. OFC is 99.95 pure copper.

An extra 0.05% copper sounds good. What’s the down side?

In a word, COST. OFC is often TWICE the price for the same size of standard cable. So you are paying DOUBLE for 0.05% more copper.

That sounds very expensive. Is it worth it?

NO. There are NO measurable electric differences (source Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen-free_copper ) .

As an exercise we emailed a dealer which sold OFC for stereo applications and asked about resistance. They said the resistance of 4 ga OFC that they sell is 0.883m milliohms/meter. Standard 4 gauge is 0.815 milliohms/meter (source: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm ). So according to the guy we talked to, the spec’ed resistance of OFC was actually WORSE than standard copper wire (although the difference is really negligible). We did not verify these numbers with physical measurements.

To sum it up, you pay DOUBLE but get no performance difference.

Are you saying that there is no good reason to pay extra for OFC?

YES. It is my opinion that OFC is just a fad in the high end stereo world. It’s marketed as a way to improve performance but it's nothing but a scheme to remove cash from uninformed customers. According to one of my wire and cable suppliers the story gets even worse. Some low-cost imported OFC is incorrectly marked with the wrong wire gauge. For example, the wire may be marked as 4 gauge but it’s really 6 gauge. If you think you are getting a great deal on some 4 gauge OFC it may be because it’s really 6 gauge.

So what’s your advice? What’s the bottom line?

Forget about OFC. It’s just a gimmick. If you want better performing cables don’t waste your hard earned cash on OFC, just buy a larger gauge cable.

Last edited by 56Nomad; 06-23-2015 at 01:22 AM.
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:50 AM   #8
DirtyRat
Strabo & Glazangel
Hooligan

DirtyRat is an unknown around here

Bufords Free Spool Cable.......
Old 06-23-2015, 02:31 AM   #9
2BH
Hooligan

2BH is just really nice

You pretty answered the OFC thing. It's not a gimmick if you can control oxygen "contamination" FOREVER. You can't realistically. The main focus on battery cables is flexibility and connection. I went with Pacer because I used to make my own cables and watched a great crimp fail in under a year so you need extreme pressure AND tinning to keep corrosion out. That's accomplished with the right equipment... that I don't have.

I paid Pacer to custom make my cables. They fit perfectly and will outlast my rig. I spent about $75 in 2013 for 9 cables including the power cables to my 2000W inverter. I just looked at their website and the prices have not changed.

Get them made once and... oh I forgot this is Howie, you will sell this rig in a few months anyway so don't bother.

If you are not Howie, I would say do it right the first time and let the pro's make em for you. email John M Swiatkowski" <johnsw@pacergroup.net> he will answer all your questions. http://www.pacergroup.net/Categories3.aspx?Id=Battery_Cable_Assemblies
Old 06-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
CHAIN_DOGG
Team "Think Pink "
Hooligan

Quote:
You know Buford! You gotta lock that gate Brian! Better check your bitches... one might be knocked up... just sayin
Any day now !!