Toy Hauln Hooligans

Toy Hauln Hooligans (http://forum.toyhaulnhooligans.com/index.php)
-   Christopher R. Lokken remembrance (http://forum.toyhaulnhooligans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Added to Nibbs Geo Cash Today (http://forum.toyhaulnhooligans.com/showthread.php?t=4364)

SoCal 10-25-2010 03:32 AM

Added to Nibbs Geo Cash Today

Just got home from a good weekend in the Dez at Rasor. As some of you know Tri 5 Ron (new guy here) went with us. As it turns out he works the Baja 500 and 1000 every year for Score. He was effected by Nibbs death but I will let him tell the story, any way he wanted to donate an official Score Baja 500 shirt from that race to Nibbs some how so we put it in the Geo Cash. We also had the idea of everyone who was effected by Chris sign the shirt and write something to him (that was it will stay in the cash). Next time your out there go find the cash and sign the shirt.

toolio 10-25-2010 04:09 AM

RIGHT ON!! We will!

QH 10-25-2010 04:32 AM

very cool :dude:

truggyboy 10-25-2010 06:13 AM

Awesome:dude:

diirk 10-25-2010 01:54 PM

Great idea!

Chipster27 10-25-2010 04:55 PM

That's awesome! Since the cache was put up there so late in the season last year I hope it gets a lot of traffic this year.

tri-5-ron 10-25-2010 08:04 PM

Hi all,
Yes, what Phil said is true. I have volunteered for Score at the 500 & 1000 races for about 6 or 7 years, and I was working the race when Chris died.

At that time, I did not know anything about him, or any of you folks.
I was just working the race, doing my job.

It's strange how sometimes we seem to live in such a small world.

Although I never had the fortunate oppurtunity to know him as most of you all did, I later did some research on him.
I came to learn some things about him, that did affect me deeply.

I know he was a great friend, a great husband, a great father, and I'm sure I would have been proud to have known him, rode with him, and shared a cold beer with him.
I know that he was one hell of a good guy, I know that his little girl was the top of his world.
Just the same as my kids are for me.

I know that He loved that little girl more than anything else, and I can only imagine that He was looking forward to teaching her, riding with her, and just shareing the fun stuff in life with her. Yet now, those things can never happen.

Those very same things, that I find no greater pleasure in, when I am riding, camping, and teaching MY kids,...
he will never get to do,...
and she will never get to experience,...
doing with her Dad.

This is soley why his death had an effect on me, when I didn't even know him.

After recently writing my little riding stories on RV.Net about my kids Nickolas and Cameron, and being invited by Phil, Jeff, and Terry to this forum,
I quickly learned that Chris was a dear friend of yours.
I figured this would come up sometime, but I did'nt HOW to bring it up and tell the Hoolies.

I mean REALLY,... How do you walk into a group, and just blurt out,...
"Uhh, hi I'm the new guy here,... but I was there when your best friend died".

Obviously, This was something that has been on my mind a bit, and I wanted to be prepared for when it did come up.

But more importantly, I also wanted to personally say to Nibbs, that I wish I could have done more on that fateful day.
So I had intentionally brought my '07 Baja 500 shirt on this camping trip, just in case the subject did come up.

Well Saturday while sitting at Keith's ranch, Jozee noticed my tee-shirt from last June's race, and asked me if I was there when Nibbs died.
I said yes, and that kind of opened the door.

So with all of that being said, here's how I was aware of, and somewhat remotely involved on the day Chris died.

************************************************** ************************************************** *

I go to Baja twice a year, with a buddy of mine to work the Baja 500 and 1000 races.
We travel in his motorhome to Ensenada the day before each race. We spend the night in the fuel pit directly across from the starting line, and we party in town for the rest of the night.

Race time is usually 6:00 am, and we get up, make some coffee (trying to shake off last nights lingering effects), and walk across the street to watch the bikes and quads leave the starting line.
After the last quad leaves, there is a 3 hour gap, before the Trophy Trucks and Class 1's leave.
We usually make some breakfast, (and swallow a small handfull of Excedrine,... You guess why),... then we watch the Big Boys roll out.

This is time for us to get back in our rig, and head out of town to our assigned post.
We are usually stationed at the Acambaro Market near the town of Uruapan.
This is just a few miles up from Santo Tomas, after the military Checkpoint, on Highway 1.

The racers come out of the desert at Santo Tomas, turn north on Highway 1, and go approx. 8-10 miles, up to the Acambaro Market where I am working as a "Road Crossing Personel"

(it's really just a fancy name for " the Idiot standing out there in front of 100 mph cars, trucks, bikes, holding a flag, and trying to get them to turn before he gets run-over").

One of the things I have on the Motorhome is a tall telescoping flagpole, that I attach a radio antenna to, and hook up a 2-way radio outside with a loudspeaker. This is so that we can listen to other parts of the race, and also so that we have communications with Weatherman, and Score Op's.
We occaisionally have to run a radio relay for Score Op's, due to loss of communications for race teams, chase trucks, checkpoints, and sometimes Emergency Services.

During that particular race, Score Op's was having alot of trouble with a bunch of the "Locals" who seem to find great entertainment in jamming up the radio waves with a bunch of bullshit, and they often are shutting down entire frequencies, by keying down on their mics for long periods of time.
This makes for alot of difficulties, for those of us trying to keep communications open.

as a result, Score Op's may or may not be capable of getting a good signal from the various checkpoints, and race support services.

When the vehicle that Chris was riding in crashed, Score Op's was battleing with unavoidable problems like dangerous Booby Traps all over the race course set up by assholes the night before the race,... locals moving Course Markers causing racers to go off course, get lost, get stuck,break down,... as well as alot of communications problems caused by some local mexican residents with radio's.
They had aquired the freq.'s that we use, and were fucking up the airways.

When Chris crashed, the main frequency was compromised by the locals. It was crazy. Score Op's was doing every thing they could to help with the emergency. trust me on this, they DO everything they can to keep thing as safe as possible.
But when your fighting with just trying to keep the airwaves open, it gets real hard to have accurate and effective communications.

I had called into Score Op's and told them that my radio was picking up and I Could hear both sides of most of the commotion, and would be happy to run relay.
I wasn't near the crash site, and I had to stay and work my post, to keep the track open and safe for all the racers, clear of spectators, pit crews, chase trucks, and just all the bullshit that comes with working the race.

I did try to help to keep Op's communicating with the necessary emergency/rescue personell, to the best of our ability, and did what we could to get Emergency services to the scene. Unfortunately, that just wasn't enough to save Chris.

From what I later came to learn, it would not have mattered even if a helicopter had been on the scene as the crash happened. The injuries were severe, and basically unsurviveable.
He did not suffer in pain for long. He passed fairly quickly.
That's really all I know.

When we got back home, I wanted to find out more about what had happened, and what had gone wrong.
What I learned from some digging around, was that ALOT of stuff had gone wrong, and some of it just damn well should not have happened.
There's a million questions that we can want answered that there simply are no answers for.

But through some of my digging around,... was how I came to learn about the kind of guy that Chris was.
About how he was the kind of guy that would give you the shirt off of his back.
About how he loved his wife and little girl.
About how he loved riding, and being in the desert.
About how he was a well liked guy that loved to have fun and party with his friends.
And about how I had missed out on knowing him.

You guys are lucky to have had him for a friend.
I never got to know the man you call Mr. Nibbs, ...
but I sure wish I had.

Nibbs,
I figured that you didn't have an official Score shirt from that day,
so I brought you mine,
your friends said you'd like to have it.

They miss you alot.

QH 10-25-2010 08:15 PM

Thanks for sharing Ron, you have a gift for the written word :dude:

P.S. watch out for :thm: he'll be lookin for ya :ph43r:

truggyboy 10-25-2010 08:17 PM

Thanks for sharing, Ron.

jws 10-25-2010 08:48 PM

Very nice Ron - thanks